Friday, May 1, 2009

Day before launch

Tomorrow at 6:30am a plane will leave Raligh-Durham International Airport, beginning the trip to China for a group of Fuqua students. Before a big trip I typically disassociate myself from the trip itself - I just focus on packing appropriately, making sure transportation is set, etc. I rarely let myself get excited, just in case I end up disappointed (like my 7th grade field trip to Dauphin Island, Alabama), but the emotions are starting to creep through now.

The past 15 weeks have been a blur for me. I've taken, by all accounts, too many classes, club activities, and job hunt. All in all, it felt like I haven't had the chance to really slow down in over three months. But now I'm getting truly excited about running around crazy for two weeks in China. And a little scared.

I've traveled a fair amount in my life, but all my international destinations have been to places where I can get by with English and a pathetic amount of French. China will be a truly new experience - part West, but very very different. The past 6 weeks my GATE class and I have learned about the history of China - mostly since the Maoist Revolution - and some about the unique customs, traditions, and institutions of China. It's been very interesting, and now we get to see and experience all the things we've learned about

It's going to be one heck of a trip - I'm glad to be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment