Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day one - Travel & afternoon in Shanghai



Today started way early - 4:30 at the airport. Some people didn't even bother sleeping last night, so I know they're running on fumes (more on that in a minute). The plane flights out here were largely uneventful - just a handful of people trying to update credit card information so the cards aren't listed as stolen. The in-flight systems on the Boeing 777 we flew on were nice - tons of movies to watch and music to listen to - though The Beatles were listed under "Pop". Go figure. I watched "Yes Man", starring Jim Carey, on the flight and I think it really set the mood for me. In short, Jim Carey makes a pact that he will say "yes" to any opportunity he runs across. With respect to my last post, I may be a bit frightened of this strange new world, but I'm ready to make the most of it.

Lucky for me, I had a new opportunity almost right out of the gate - quite literally. After we landed and pulled up to our gate, Chinese officials in Tyvek suits and masks took the temperature of everyone on board, before we were allowed to deplane. Part of the swine flu precautions. We also had to fill out "health status" cards, indicating if we had any flu-like symptoms. Instead of keeping mum, I marked "cough", since I in fact have had a mild one for two weeks now, the lingering effects of a now recovered cold. Beth also marked "cough" because of allergies. Of course, this meant we were pulled aside at the inspection point before immigration and taken into a medical exam room labeled "Immigration and Quarantine". After 15 minutes of questioning and a quick check of my temperature and other vitals, I was released on my own recognizance with a card that would grant me priority access at any hospital if my symptoms got worse. So, interesting experience, and I got some free swag out of it - a "cough" mask. Beth got the same treatment, but no mask.

Most of us were pretty zonked by the time we got to the hotel at 4pm - nearly 24 hours after arriving at RDU. The majority of us headed out in small groups to forage for food. Because we missed the larger meet-up my roommate, Victor, and I headed to Nanjing Road - a modern pedestrian shopping street lined with big ticket stores and a fair number of western fast food chains. After being practically assaulted by a number of "Hello men" ("Hello Rolex? Hello Prada? Hello massage?"), we finally got cash and a quick bite to eat at an only-mildy-sketchy Japanese place. My wife is an expert at the "point and nod" sign language, but I quickly remembered the key elements and was able to order dinner. Others ate at small local restaurants on side roads off of Nanjing, and one group even struck out trying to find something acceptable and ate at McDonalds. Apparently even that was abysmal - the chicken sandwich was all dark meat!

After dinner, a group of 18 went to see ERA, one of the nearly 100 acrobatics troupes in China. It was an impressive demonstration of acrobatics, juggling, strength, and grace, coupled with universal showmanship. I'm not sure how this group rates within China, but I'd say their skill was close to the Cirque de Soleil groups I've seen. Minus the LSD factor. Unfortunately, some of the 18 were so tired they literally slept through acts. At least the finale had 8 motorcycles zooming about in a sphere-o-death (and the riders were dressed as Mongols - quite humorous to me) and that woke everyone up.

All in all, a very good, if tiring, first day of GATE China.


(Photos courtesy of David Brown. First is a picture of Chinese health inspectors on the plane. Second is a group picture. Left to right, front row first is : Katherine, Andrea, Johann, Laura, Whitney, Cara, Cari, Mary-Beck, Tori, Juan Pablo's eyes, Marie, Lindsey, Kristin, Leon, Colette, Weyant, Allison, Breno, Beth, Victor, Dave, and Kristin)

No comments:

Post a Comment